VMware Server是免费的，它的前身为VMware GSX。但Virtual Center for VMware Server不是免费的，它的计费方式为VMware Server(1个), 以及VMware Server host agent(n个).
VMware Server支持32/64为操作系统，支持最多2 vSMP的VM. 只支持1个快照，不支持录像功能。支持template. 他的template既可以放在host中，也可以放在VC Server.还支持在Host之间的cold migration, 这些功能显然需要VC的支持。
VMware Virtual Center有两个版本，1.4.1是专门为Virtual Server设计的，和以前ESX2.5.x的比较类似，而VC2.0.x是专为ESX设计的。
和workstation相比，VMware Server更注重集中统一管理和监控。但从具体的功能而言，不如Workstation.VMware Server中有VM Importer, 但不象Workstation, 还有converter.
- Q: How is VMware Server different from Workstation? Will Workstation also be free?
A: VMware will continue to charge for Workstation and has no plans to drop its price. Workstation has unique, advanced features that are not available in VMware Server. These features include the ability to manage multi-tier configurations and multiple snapshots. Workstation is a productivity tool used by developers and technical professionals on an individual PC. VMware will continue to develop compelling features on this product that dramatically streamline software testing and development.
- Q: What is VMware Infrastructure? How is VMware Server different from VMware Infrastructure?
A: VMware Infrastructure allows entire industry-standard infrastructure farms to be managed as a shared utility and dynamically allocated to different business units or projects. Delivering built-in management, resource optimization, application availability and operational automation capabilities, VMware® Infrastructure 3 dramatically reduces costs and increases efficiency, flexibility and IT service levels. Users of VMware Server can protect their investment if they choose to migrate to VMware Infrastructure as VMware virtual machines are fully compatible across the product line.
- Q: How does VMware Server work?
A: VMware Server installs and runs as an application on top of a host Windows or Linux operating system. A thin virtualization layer partitions the physical server so multiple virtual machines can run simultaneously on a single server. Computing resources of the physical server are treated as a uniform pool of resources that can be allocated to virtual machines in a controlled manner. VMware Server isolates each virtual machine from its host and other virtual machines, leaving them unaffected if an application in a virtual machine crashes. Data does not leak across virtual machines and applications can only communicate over pre-configured network connections. VMware Server encapsulates a virtual machine environment as a file, which is easy to back-up, move and copy.
- Q: When will VMware Server be available?
A: VMware Server is available immediately.
- Q: Where can I download VMware Server?
A: VMware Server is available for immediate download here.
- Q: Who can use VMware Server?
A: The benefits of server virtualization can be realized by a company of any size — even small companies with just a few servers.
- Q: How does the functionality of the free VMware Server compare to the functionality of server virtualization products offered by other vendors?
A: VMware Server is superior and a better value than server virtualization products from other vendors. VMware Server features include:
- Runs on any standard x86 hardware
- Supports 64-bit guest operating systems, including Windows, Linux, and Solaris
- Supports VMware VirtualCenter to efficiently provision, monitor and manage infrastructure from a central management console
- Supports two-processor Virtual SMP, enabling a single virtual machine to span multiple physical processors
- Runs on a wider variety of Linux and Windows host and guest operating systems than any server virtualization product on the market
- Captures entire state of a virtual machine and rolls back at any time with the click of a single button
- Installs like an application, with quick and easy, wizard-driven installation
- Quick and easy, wizard-driven virtual machine creation
- Opens VMware or Microsoft virtual machine format and Symantec LiveState Recovery images with VM Importer
- Q: Does VMware Server run on Windows and Linux host operating systems?
A: VMware Server runs on a wide variety of Windows and Linux operating systems. For detailed specifications, refer to the VMware Server datasheet.
- Q: Which guest operating systems does VMware Server support?
A: VMware Server supports Windows, Linux, Solaris and Novell NetWare guest operating systems, including 64-bit guest OS support. For complete list of supported guest operating systems refer to the VMware Server datasheet.
- Q: Can I create virtual machines with VMware Server?
A: VMware Server offers a user friendly, wizard driven capability to create any custom virtual machine. VMware Server users can also download and run plug-and-play virtual appliances from the VMTN Virtual Machine Center.
- Q: Can VMware Server run virtual machines created by other products?
A: VMware Server can run any virtual machine created by VMware GSX Server, VMware ESX Server, VMware Workstation and Microsoft Virtual Server. Please consult the VMware Virtual Machine Mobility Planning Guide for detailed documentation of virtual machine compatibility between VMware products.
- Q: What type of applications can run in virtual machines created by VMware Server?
A: Any application that runs on guest operating systems supported by VMware Server can run in a virtual machine. Customers commonly deploy the following applications within virtual machines:
- Web and Application Services: Microsoft IIS, Apache, IBM WebSphere, Macromedia ColdFusion, BEA WebLogic Application Server
- Messaging: Microsoft Exchange, Lotus Notes, other POP and IMAP services
- File and print services: Windows file and print services
- Remote session access: Citrix MetaFrame, Windows Terminal Services
- Proxy services: Squid, Netscape Proxy Server
- Network services: Microsoft Active Directory, iPlanet Directory Server, DHCP, DNS
- Custom developed applications
- Q: How do users manage VMware Server and virtual machines?
A: VMware Server can be managed with a local and remote management user interfaces or over the web. In addition, VMware Server and virtual machines can also be managed with scripts using a set of APIs that are included. Finally, users can also use VirtualCenter for VMware Server add-on to provision, monitor and manage their IT infrastructure
- Q: What technical expertise do I need to install and run VMware Server?
A: VMware Server installs on a host operating system like an application and is very easy to use. Since the installation and administration of the VMware Server is wizard-driven, the product can be used by anyone who has installed software on a regular PC.
- Q: What kind of hardware do I need for VMware Server?
A: VMware Server inherits hardware support from the host Windows or Linux operating system, and consequently, it can be deployed on any hardware supported by those operating systems. For detailed specification, refer to the VMware Server datasheet .
- Q: What is the migration path for VMware Server customers who have outgrown its functionality?
A: VMware Server customers who would like to implement large-scale production server consolidation, business continuity, and enterprise desktop solutions can migrate to VMware Infrastructure products. View a comparison between VMware Server and VMware Virtual Infrastructure.
- Q: Is the migration from VMware Server to ESX Server seamless?
A: Migrating to ESX Server entails first uninstalling VMware Server. However, any virtual machines created with VMware Server can be run by ESX Server without any modifications.
- Q: What are the support options for VMware Server?
A: VMware Server customers receive free access to product documentation, and online knowledgebase. Customers who require e-mail and phone support can purchase a Support and Subscription contract. Support and Subscription services for VMware Server are available for VMware Server now with Gold level support priced at $350 per year, and Platinum support at $450 per year. For details on VMware Server support options, refer to VMware Support Services.
- Q: Why is Support and Subscription for VMware Server priced in absolute dollar terms rather than as percentage of license?
A: While the most common methods for pricing Support and Subscription services is percentage of software license, that model does not work for a free software license product.
- Q: Will patches and new releases for VMware Server be provided for free in the future?
A: VMware Server patches, minor and major releases, new hardware and software support, will be provided by VMware immediately when available to customers that have purchased a VMware Server Support and Subscription contract. VMware will also periodically update the freely downloadable product with the functionality improvements contained in these patches, minor and major releases.
- Q: What is the future product roadmap for VMware Server?
A: VMware is committed to evolving hosted server virtualization. Subsequent versions of VMware Server, incorporating new features and functionality, will be made available in the future.